Monday 1 September 2014

The Big Six

It's been six days since I signed off of Facebook and here's the top six things that have changed in my life:

1. I think about what I say more
That's not to say I consider my words before opening my mouth...hopefully in 6 more days that will happen. However, when there is no immediate outlet for your thoughts you have to turn inward and think about where these thoughts are coming from, what they mean and how to use them constructively.

2. I take less photos
I have seen numerous hilarious things all over London in the past 6 days and eaten some fabulous food and photographed none of it. I'm just enjoying it and that has been a nice feeling.

3. People have to try harder to contact me
In the last 6 days I have gone out four nights or afternoons and not one of those dates was organized on Facebook. It's gooood! I'm using my phone again like an actual damn phone! Eureka!

4. I spend more time talking to my lovely husband
Instead of us both being on our phones, we are talking to each other. He's finally figured out that when he asks 'did you see on Facebook...?' the answer will really be 'no' and that he'll have to tell me what the funny thing was, and that's nice.

5. I'm spending more time on E-Bay
They say you normally replace one addiction with anther, so this was a natural progression. So far I have bought a neon pink kimono and some Pekinese dogs made of porcelain.

6. I have more time
Yes we just established that this extra time is being spent on E-Bay, but I'm planning on taking a screenwriting course and a Mindfulness course this month. I have so much more time. I'm yet to start using that to my advantage, but I'm confident I will.

Try it for a week and see what you discover. You really don't have anything to lose. All that bullshit you tell yourself about things being organized on Facebook that you will miss is really bullshit. If people want you there they will call you or text you. Fact.

You can still watch stuff on the internet. I still saw the farting remix of Anaconda without Facebook! The internet exists beyond the blue thumbs! Live, people! Live!

That said I may be back next week. I haven't decided yet, but for now I'm enjoying being totally retro and communicating with people and not profiles.

No comments:

Post a Comment