Tuesday 17 February 2015

A Letter to Zara From My Fat Arms

Dear Zara,

I am a loyal customer. One who often makes purchases from your online store as well as the high street. I mostly buy knitwear, but occasionally dresses and accessories as well. Of course I understand that clothing sizing isn't always fair, but I believe that can change with your help.

Here's the deal - I can't fit into your size L shirts. My big ol' arms straight-up can't squeeze in. It's like a hulk situation and I could burst through the seams at any minute. How is that possible? My arms are in perfect proportion to the rest of my body which fits in the shirt. I can button the buttons with room to spare, but I can't bend at the elbow. Whose body looks like that? Big torso, tiny arms? Give me one real-life example! It's clearly not me.

When I posted my angst on Twitter I was reassured by one of your agents that a Zara size L equates to a 12 and that it should fit; thus adding insult to injury. Not only am I too fat to fit into said shirt, but now my actual size was being questioned by the very distributor who set me up for this crushing failure. It's all too much. 

I'll have you know that I am a perfect size UK12/US8. My measurements are 36-28-36, a mere 4 inches away from being a brick house. Only in a parallel universe should this be considered "large." Not that I object to being labeled as such. My issue is how your sizing makes people feel who shop at your stores who are bigger, but less body confident than me.

There are so many people you are excluding with your microscopic sizes. Think about it! Adele and Lena Dunham can't shop at your stores. Ella Henderson and Rebel Wilson probably can't even buy socks at Zara and that's ridiculous. With the average size in the UK being a 16 and a 14 in the USA why are you limiting your clientele in this way? You're missing out!

I am a young, successful, marginally attractive woman. I go on holidays to places like The Maldives and Nice. I have an expensive haircut and get facials. I am fancy, dammit! I am who you want to see walking down the street with huge Zara bags. But I can't. Because your bags are bigger than your bloody clothes. Curses!

Just for fun I compared your shirt to some of the others in my wardrobe and the results are astounding. Your size L shirt was significantly smaller than size M button-down shirts from both Topshop and Primark. If you want to go high class, your top was also miniature compared to tops from the equally upscale American retailer, Express. When I compared your shirt to one created by legendary designer Diane Von Furstenberg, her size L garment was a good 2 inches bigger than yours in the arms and the body. Explain yourself!

By making your clothes so small you are creating anxiety in the minds of women everywhere. You are undermining our body confidence, which at times is shaky at best. I know I'm not obese, but for a crushing second I felt I was and immediately had to take a photo of myself in my underwear to reassure myself. This is not the solution and is wildly impractical. But I just can't understand how can I be a size M in every other store in the world, but not even fit into your size L.

Something is wrong. Your system is broken. We fancy, important, curve-having women want to buy your clothes. Can you please create them in sizes we can wear?

Sincerely,

Size 12  

No comments:

Post a Comment